Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Donkey and the carrot

I am finally an engineer. Four years of hard (read : hardly any) work have finally got me my degree. I'm not excited.

What I am excited about is my first job. My workplace is awesome, the people are great and you see good work happening around you.

All this put aside, there is something I've always felt. When I was in class X, everyone told me - Manas, do well in your boards and life will be a cakewalk.

I did well in my class X boards.

When I was in classes XI and XII, I was told that getting through a great Engineering Institute would secure my future.

I did.

In college, I was told that be in the first 5 in your class, and everything will be fine.

I did.

In my senior year, I was told that getting a great job would really settle my life.

I did.

Now I'm being told to make sure I perform well at the job as that will make sure that I have a successful career. Another set of people tells me to plan for my higher studies to ensure a great life.

Then I guess it will be about getting a good wife and then being happy in my marriage and then ensuring everything goes well for my kids.

When does it stop?

12 Comments:

At 9:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gr8ness dusnt stop by itself :-)

 
At 12:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true:)

 
At 2:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it all stops ,when you stop wanting best things in life .but then that's not life at all :-) .
so instead of ranting around make a good os at microsoft :P
and iam still to understand where is the donkey and the carrot here ,rather who is the donkey and carrot .I do know that you spent last weekend with two juniors :p

 
At 4:01 AM , Blogger -->suren<-- said...

how true !!
Guess one can never be secure in Life, its like avoiding the insecure feeling by just assuming that we are going to be secure shortly which we never reach :P
Btw whats this wit donkey and carrots ???

 
At 5:14 AM , Blogger Manas Garg said...

We're all the donkeys and the assurance that after this step you'll be "secure" is the carrot. Just that you later discover that there is just one more step to climb..

 
At 5:19 AM , Blogger Anubhav said...

lol :) :)
It's the life's fundaa....
It is really concerned with being feeling secure n comfortable in ur present situation...
It stops ven u start feeling that u r happy in ur current situation n that never happens :P
There is always a feeling of insecurity that there is someone out there who will take all ur prized processions n to avoid that feeling v try to achieve watever v feel is necessary.....
It like getting that elusive "Ferrari" that u always wanted n finally got but the next day, there is a new n improved version of "Ferrari" which is now going to be in ur wishlist :P

 
At 5:21 AM , Blogger Anubhav said...

Regarding donkey n carrot,
everybody knows who they r n taggy just left a direct n subtle hint
:) :)

 
At 5:48 AM , Blogger Harishankaran said...

lol :) nice post :)
And you know what, being a donkey keeps you going :). The fact that you have something better to do than what you have done till now :-).

 
At 5:57 AM , Blogger Harishankaran said...

@hajela :: direct and subtle hint huh ???
You better name the person and he will be waiting to kick you when you come back to college :P

 
At 6:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@sp2hari ,how does being a donkey keeps one going ? .yes if you want carrots ;)

 
At 3:01 PM , Blogger -->suren<-- said...

@hajela wait until me and hari come to college :P


and i second hari : being a donkey helps."stay foolish and stay hungry " for knowledge. stay foolish so that you keep learning and stay hungry so that you dont lose the apatite to learn. I guess it should never stop, being the donkey thing.

 
At 9:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@suren thala ,mokka king da nee sathyama !
thathuvama pesre .vaa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home