Friday, May 26, 2006

Who moved my cheese?

Humans are supposed to be the species that evolved more than any other. The one that has undergone maximum change. And also the one that gained the most out of every change that took place.

Then why - why is it that we resist change so much? Why is it that I want to continue living in that same old house when the place my family has moved to is much better, even if in a different city? Why does Geetanjali not want to move in with her sister and wants to continue living with her flatmates? Why do I prefer sitting at the same workstation in the lab everyday? Why do I feel uncomfortable when I walk in and find someone else already working on it, even when all systems are the same?

The reason is that we are emotional beings. We get attached to things. Things - not just people, but even to activities, habits and routines. And when something changes, we face the double problem of coping with the new and missing what is not there anymore.

Being a little uncomfortable towards change is okay. But is being adverse to change? I don't know. What is it that is more important - our feelings or the routine? I guess the answer differs in different situations.

The problem arises when both are big. And you have to choose. It is so strange - I love to be free - but I hate to choose when life makes me do it.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 AM , Blogger Abhay said...

try reading "Future Shock" by Alvin Toffler... might provide you answers to most of your questions

 
At 1:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

u write well...angel

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home